Ishmail's most distinguishing feature is its graphical user
interface. It gives you a fast and easy way to compose, read, and
manage your electronic mail. The full capabilities of the
graphical interface are exploited through the support of
multi-media mail. Here is a list of
- A "WYSIWYG" text editor is included for composing mail
messages. This editor lets you interactively apply font
and format changes and imbed multi-media data in
messages. multi-media data are represented by icons
which flow with the surrounding text.
- Ishmail includes built-in support for composing, viewing,
and printing mail with mixed fonts, character sets, and
formatting attributes (bold, italic, underline, etc.).
- You can use international character sets when
composing, reading, and printing mail (including
RFC1522 mail headers).
- You can use an external editor, such as
compose message text. An external spelling checker can
be used to verify spelling. (Ishmail uses
ispell as its
default spelling checker.)
- You can include or attach external files in messages you
- Icons representing the files are imbedded in,
and flow with, the message text.
- You can expand a file in-line, or include it as an
- You can attach a pointer to a file, rather than
copying the file into the message.
- The list of file data types understood by
can easily be extended.
- Multiple mail folders can be used concurrently.
- You can move message among folders using
- You can save one or messages to one or more
folders, in a single operation.
- You can quickly switch between lists of folder
- You can select mail folders by names, using wild cards, or
you can select them from menu lists using the mouse
- Three major mail folder formats are supported. You can
create, delete and use folders in any of these styles:
- You can sort the list of messages in a folder by
combinations of criteria.
- You can reformat the message list, including reordering
and resizing its columns.
- A powerful search function for is available for finding
messages or information within messages.
- Search forward or backward for a message, or
find all messages matching a pattern.
- UNIX regular expression can be used for
- Message body, headers, or both can be searched.
- You can reconfigure and redefine shortcut buttons in the
Main, Reading, and Composition windows.
- Multiple Reading windows can be opened at once, each
showing a different message.
- Multiple Composition windows can be opened at once,
allowing you to have more than one new message in
- Fonts and colors can be customized.
- You can specify patterns (using UNIX regular
expressions) to look for in message headers, then take
action when a match is found. Each pattern can have a
different action. These actions include:
- Automatically file the message in a specific
- Run an alert command (for example, play a
- Display a specific icon pixmap.
- You can specify multiple signature files.
- A different signature for internal mail than for
- A different signature for MIME messages
versus plain text messages.
- An executable signature program, which
generates a different signature each time it is
- World Wide Web addresses (URLs) are recognized in
messages. Holding down the
Control key while clicking
on a URL will launch the Web browser of your choice to
follow the link.
- Many operations are protected by a confirmation prompt
really mean to do that?"). However, any or all
of these can be disabled by a "power user."
- You can use, and create, alias names for e-mail
addresses. Alias files can be shared with programs such
Preceding Section: About Ishmail
Following Section: Starting Ishmail
Parent Section: About Ishmail
Contents of Ishmail User's Guide